Important Rail Travel Information
During an 11-day (13-24 February 2016) closure of the Crewe to Manchester and Sandbach to Northwich railway lines and subject to planning consent, Network Rail will carry out vital refurbishment works to four bridges and two viaducts as part of its Railway Upgrade Plan.
From 13-24 February, services to Manchester from London and South Wales (and vice-versa) will temporarily by-pass Crewe and be diverted via Macclesfield and Stockport. Replacement bus services will be provided for all those passengers who are affected in between Crewe and Wilmslow.
As part of the works, enhancements will be made to the interior of the subway at Wilmslow Station. This will involve the walls being waterproofed to make the subway more presentable and welcoming for passengers
The key schemes within this package of improvement works that will take place from 13-24 February are as follows:
* Holmes Chapel Viaduct,
* Peover Viaduct (subject to planning consent)
* Hungerford Road bridge, Crewe
* Whatcroft underbridge
* Trent & Mersey Canal bridge
* Shipbrook Road bridge, Rudheath
These works will affect the following networks only:
Crewe North Junction — Cheadle Hulme and Northwich (Sandbach North Junction branch line.) All Lines
* 01.05 Sat — 05.45 Mon (13-15 February and 20- 22 February)
Sandbach North Junction — Alderley Edge (All lines)
* 05.25 Mon 15 — 00.25 Sat 20 February 2016
* 05.25 Mon 22 — 04.40 Wed 24 February 2016
To ensure that passengers can continue to travel during the 11 day closure in February 2016, the affected train operating companies will be running the following amended services:
Monday 15 — Friday 19 February and Monday 22 -Tuesday 23 February
* Train services to operate from Manchester Piccadilly — Alderley Edge via Stockport and via Manchester Airport
* Regular replacement buses to be provided between Wilmslow and Crewe calling at all stations.
Saturday Sunday (13-14 and 20-21 February)
* Train services operate Manchester Piccadilly — Wilmslow via Manchester Airport.
* Train services operate Manchester Piccadilly — Stockport
* Regular replacement buses to be provided between Stockport and Crewe calling at all stations.
Manchester Piccadilly — London Euston via Crewe services are diverted via Stoke and Macclesfield and will not call at Wilmslow.
Arriva Trains Wales
South Wales — Manchester services generally diverted via Warrington to terminate/start at Manchester Oxford Road
Those services which normally operate via Crewe will be diverted via Stoke and Macclesfield.